Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Skiing!

Skiing @ Selwyn Tung and I went skiing last week, it was a bit of a last minute thing. I had wanted to go skiing since before the uni break started, and no one ever wanted to go with me, so I kind of gave up on that idea. Then suddenly a week before the trip my cousin rings me up and asks if I want to go as there are a few spots left in her ASOC (actuarial society) ski trip event.

We were to leave Thursday night (19th), get there around 9:30pm and have a night's sleep, head out to hit the snow the next day, have a full day of skiing (9-4:30), then another night back at the lodge, then head back out for another day of skiing and drive straight home after skiing, and get back around 11:30pm on Saturday night. It was a pretty awesome trip. Not the best lodge, or food, but I can't complain, it was a reasonably cheap holiday away, so the food and the lodge was expected to be a little dodgey, but we had our sleep and we were fed, so it was all good. The ski resort we went to was Selwyn, not as big as Thredbo, and only a fraction of Perisher, but was sufficient enough for a bunch of beginners like me.

The first night at the lodge, we barely got 5 hours of sleep (Tung and I), I was drenched in sweat from the highest setting for our electric blankets, with 2 sleeping bags and another quilt. The second night I froze to death with only 1 quilt and a sleeping bag on top (which does absolutely nothing), and the lowest setting on my electric blanket, got about 6 hours of sleep with continuous waking up in between. But, it's a crazy holiday, and was overall great fun.

The snow was great, we had great weather, a slight wind during our visit, but was probably a good thing to cool us down from hours of skiing. We experienced some snowing on the Saturday morning - nothing fascinating, just a bunch of tiny ice particles that you cannot even see, and it just looked like fog, but clings to your face a little. The slopes were a little short, and of course, nothing beats Perisher in terms of slopes, but we did manage to find a nice little triangle to go around in so it was pretty much continuous skiing until our legs were completely bruised, and my knee dislocated (snow plough! snow plough!).

If anyone knows of great snow deal packages, let me know for next year (I already know about Ski Kaos). I think a 2 day ski package is more than enough, if 3 day or more I'd probably like some other activities other than skiing.
___________

1 Comments:

Blogger Nam said...

Snowwww!!

You guys sound like you had a good time! *Thumbs up*

July 25, 2007 at 9:50 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home